Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dealing with contractors, 21st century style

So we just bought an old house in the suburbs, and we're refinishing the floors. The previous owners had the brilliant idea of carpeting the whole house, which is verboeten in our Yuppie milieu.
So the floor guy--Is there a fancier term for him? Hardwood Re-engineerer perhaps? Floor pie baker?--says that the wood under the carpet doesn't look so good at first glance. Great, I'm thinking, and I'll have to shlep back out here today again to see each spot that looks like it's in need of replacement. While that dreadful thought was still lingering in my head, he says, "when I find a bad spot, I'll take a digital pic and e-mail it to you for your thoughts." Now granted, this is not a state of the art concept, but we're talking about a contractor here. They may be one of the last bastions of ludditic (ludditudinal?) behavior in the professional world. I was pleased as fruit punch. Needless to say, though, I hope not to get an e-mail from him today!

No comments: